Professor: Dr. Barend Kamphuis (the Netherlands)
April 14, Wednesday (18:00-20:00)
April 15, Thursday (18:00-20:00)
April 21, Wednesday (18:00-20:00)
April 22, Thursday (18:00-20:00)
April 28, Wednesday (18:00-20:00)
April 29, Thursday (18:00-20:00)
Place: Every participant connects to online live lectures (Zoom) from their homes. Registered students will receive the link.
Language: English, with simultaneous translation channel in Russian
Dr. Barend Kamphuis is professor emeritus in Systematic Theology at the Theological University of the Reformed Churches (liberated) in Kampen, the Netherlands. He is married with Zwanet and has with her 6 children and 13 grandchildren. He loves playing chess and watching birds.
The course will start with an overview about the Christology of the New Testament. After that we’ll have a short look to the Old Testament. Then the development of the Christological dogma (the fourth ecumenical council, Chalcedon 451) will have our attention. The course will be closed with an overview of Christological discussion since the 19th century.
The course provides answers to the following questions:
• What does the New Testament teach us about Person and work of Jesus Christ?
• How can we read the Old Testament as a testimony of Jesus Christ?
• What is the meaning of the doctrine about Jesus Christ as one Person in two natures, divine and human?
• What are the challenges for orthodox reformed theology regarding the doctrine of Jesus Christ in modern times?
REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS:
1) Class attendance
2) Required reading:
– Louis Berkhof, Systematic Theology, Part Three: The Doctrine of the Person and Work of Christ, (Fourth Revised and Enlarged Edition. Grand Rapids. Mi.: Eerdmans, Reprinted 1986) page 303-412.
– Jaroslav Pelikan, The Christian Tradition. A History of the Development of Doctrine 1. The emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600), Chicago/London: The University of Chicago Press 1971, Chapter 4 ‘The Mystery of the Trinity’ and Chapter 5 ‘The Person of the God-Man’ (page 172-277).
– McGrath. Christian Theology. An Introduction of Alister McGrath, Chapter 9 ‘The Doctrine of the Person of Christ’.
– K. Runia, The present-day Christological debate, Leicester: Inter Varsity Press, 1984, Chapter 1-4 (page 11-46) and Chapter 9 (page 101-115).
3) Final examination
In English/Latvian: email@example.com (Riga);
In Russian: firstname.lastname@example.org (Saint Petersburg)